Truly Disappointing

Monday, April 10, 2006

just not right

Did I miss out on something? Am I the only female human who did NOT get the sap gene? Because I seem to be missing something here that the rest of you get.

Don't get me wrong. When Parachute Boy gets all sapped up like a maple in Vermont autumn, and it gets Susan's nougat-y center all gooed up, I'm happy for her. And, in theory, I get that a well-timed "I miss you" is a good thing to hear. But on an emotional level, I'm lacking some understanding.

I led a somewhat normal childhood. My parents were no more fucked up than anyone else's and much less so than some. I was hugged and told nice things. My mother thinks I'm great, even if I am a stubborn pain in the ass -- and yes, she's say either or both out loud to me to my face. We are, frankly, as honest as we can be to each other without being downright mean. And it seems to work. Neither of us is good with subtlety -- I can do it but it requires effort and she cannot. At all.

Anyway, not my point.

I'm just wondering if I missed a day where they taught you to be the stereotypical "girly girl" for romance. It's beyond me why anyone would put rose petals on a bed. I like candle light -- I do think that's a sexy mood-enhancer. I like chocolate and flowers, but don't know exactly why they're romantic. I've had a few gooey phone calls in my life -- the kind you wouldn't repeat verbatim because a) they'd sound ridiculous and b) because you'd be embarrassed to. But I don't "get" roses, Valentine's Day, tortured gooey phone calls, satin sheets, and the like.

I guess I'm wondering what my uber-practical mind is missing out on. Is it just that I haven't met the person who will make me want to be a cheese ball? Is it just not in me? I feel the latter is true, but people like to say the former.

Are there guys out there who want/can deal with a practical, non-romantic, can't remember an anniversary to save her life kind of girl? If so, where are they? And why do I attract the sweet kind of guy I just don't understand?

3 Comments:

  • you're more normal than you're giving yourself credit for with the questions here (we didn't help I know). I do NOT like roses. daisies & wildflowers are my fave flowers, & I like a fresh picked dandelion from my grandson as much as I've liked whole bouquets from "the one" (of the moment). a friend picking up a candy bar for me while she's at the store - just as good as a guy giving me a box of chocolates. (who all said it like Forrest Gump there??). but when a guy's been kinda MIA, & has the balls to actually SAY IT on a machine (miss you), that I'll take. and go awwwww.

    By Anonymous tug, at 4:44 PM  

  • I guess maybe it just needs to be all about me. It has to be something that means something to ME, not some generic "Romance" thing. Nah, I still don't get it.

    On the flip side, I see happy gooey thing and Hooray for Raiden for getting it right. Still? No to the 0530 stalking thing.

    By Blogger kT, at 4:57 PM  

  • yes, no 530 thing. its not worth my fucking time. im seriously pissed off right now. and i wish i was more practical like you kt. sap=bullshit. sap is smoke and mirrors. its an illusion wed all like to believe and maybe do for a moment but, like fog, the sap lifts and then youre left with matter of fact reality.

    i hate every little piece of everything today. hate hate HATE!!!

    see also me comment on the previous post.....

    By Blogger Susan, at 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home