Truly Disappointing

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

dreaming.....

I had the weirdest dream last night. For me, places are usually quite vivid, people often less so. I have recurring places in my dreams, but these were all new.

I am in a neighborhood – single-family houses, boulevard trees, nice sidewalks. It is sunny, not too hot – maybe early summer, mid-morning. I am running. For exercise or fun. Which is something I never do in real life. I am wearing running shoes and my summer pajamas – a hot pink tank top with short boxer shorts – white with huge pink and orange flowers on them. Totally obnoxious.

I am running. Enjoying the day. A man is running towards me, but when he gets close enough to recognize me, stops, about half a block away. “Hey! You have to come and get that tape I have for you,” he says. I know this guy. We are friends. It’s Dr. Greg House (and no, I didn’t watch the show last night).

We head back to his apartment, joking and talking, flirting. At one point, he picks me up – as a joke (seems to be a thing with guys and me sometimes). We reach the apartment building – a large, 5 or 6 story 1970s sort of faux-Tudor style building. We have a few like that, but not as big, here in town – Cathy’s is one of them. There are at least two stories below ground. We go down. He lives underground. The stairways are open – not separate stairwells, which is actually illegal for a building of this height, according to code (but then, I don’t think anyone lives two stories underground either). The stairs and hall are carpeted in a dull dark beige.

We reach his apartment and go in. There is a young blond woman curled up in an arm chair watching TV. She doesn’t look up when we come in, but I say hi. She looks up. It’s my friend Janet from college, in her shorter hair days. I haven’t seen her since the year after college. We recognize each other, hug, start talking and catching up. House goes to get the tape he promised me.

The three of us stand around chatting for a while, but I have to go. I have a class to go to out in D, which is about two hours west of here and I still need to go home and change (yes, am still in pajamas). We chat like you do after you insist you have to leave, and finally, I leave. I go up stairs. Walk out a door onto a third story porch of some sort where the fire escapes has been detached. I wander the Escher-like stairs and halls a few more times, growing annoyed and a little worried about time, but eventually get out of there. Start to run home, but it gets dark – it’s dusk already. I have totally missed my afternoon class.

I end up in a centre of town “shopping district” type area – you know, like the new “outdoor mall” kind of places they’re building across the country. I’m in an open lobby area of a building at a reception for an art exhibit that has just opened – large colorful post modern works hung somehow suspended from the ceiling in front of the glass walls of this new, totally inappropriate for art, building space. People are mingling, drinking champagne, dressed trendy. I’m still in my pajamas, but mingling (??). At some point, it strikes me that I have to get home now because I’m late. For what, I don’t know. So I leave the “gallery” and head into the night, the lit up faux-brick pavers in this faux-Main Street glistening with dew. I am on the corner of 10th Street and some named street and I need to get to 4th Street (which is how I get home in real life) and in my dream, this is my city, it’s just nothing like where I really live. I figure I’ll walk a block and see if I’m going the right direction by seeing whether I hit 9th or 11th. I have no sense of direction (just ask) and I do this all the time in unfamiliar areas in reality. So I walk. It’s 11th St. But when I walk back, I get lost. I can’t find 10th anymore, but I only walked a block and turned around, so how is that possible? I wander though a dark neighborhood. It starts to rain. I am completely and totally lost.

And then the alarm went off.

I’m really not sure that I want to analyze this, but it’s rare that I have a dream so clear.

3 Comments:

  • I had a dream the other night that I went to the local corner shop and bought a loaf of bread and some milk.

    Weird, eh?

    By Blogger Mark Base, at 3:24 AM  

  • only if you woke up to fresh bread & milk. in your bed.

    By Blogger Tug, at 1:04 PM  

  • I think that's sleep walking. Not dreaming.

    By Blogger kT, at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home