Truly Disappointing

Thursday, March 02, 2006

When I Was Your Age

Interesting perspective (or should I say retrospective), K. Let me see if I can match your same time periods with the inconsequential details of my life.

Three years ago, I was either at the bitter end of my last relationship, or right in between relationships. Good to know I can barely remember those times now.

Ten years ago, I was in my third year at Tech, which means I had probably started dating my college gf right about then. Strange, but good times.

Two years ago, I was in the full swing of match.com and Yahoo! Dating. I met some very interesting women, but none that were worth any sort of follow-up until I met Holly.

Eight years ago, I graduated from Tech and moved back down to Central Florida (Tampa) to work for GTE (Verizon). It was the first time in my life I was completely self-sufficient. I couldn't have been more proud of myself for no longer being a burden on my parents.

Five years ago, I had been promoted to the job I'm still at right now. That was probably the best time for me career-wise. Other, higher-paying jobs were prevalent and I reaped the benefits of the company trying to keep it's people happy. No upward mobility around these parts anymore...

Twenty years ago, I had been in Orlando for a little over a year and was still suffering the effects of culture shock coming from an all-white private school to a majority-black public school. Life was not good for me then. That's when I realized I truly didn't fit anywhere. In those days, social outcasts were my best friends.

Lost in here somewhere are my visit to you in Oregon and that day you called me on the phone out of the blue. I want to say Oregon should go in "five years ago" and the phone call should go in about "three years ago", or have I just become senile?

It's fun being old.

4 Comments:

  • I think it was about three years ago that I called "out of the blue". It was sometime my first year out here, I think.

    I have good pics from that Oregon trip. I promised Cathy I'd dig some out to show her what you look like! (She thought "Pinky" was a girl at first.)

    By Blogger kT, at 4:41 PM  

  • AAAAAIIIIIIIIIGGGGGH! That's what I hate about that nickname.

    By Blogger Pinky, at 2:11 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:33 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home