Truly Disappointing

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Polygamy??

Damn it all to hell. My computer’s running like molasses today and it’s pissing me off.

Hmmm. Polygamy. Well, I can’t speak from a male perspective, obviously, and I can’t even speak from the persepective of someone who’s dated more than one person at a time. Frankly, one Relationship is all that I can handle at a time. Actually, even one is more than I can handle sometimes. Eh, let’s be honest – more than I can handle most of the time.

Supposedly, one of the reasons to marry was so that, in the days when you handed down the land from father to firstborn son, you knew as a man, who your kids were. That’s not much of an issue for women. But that doesn’t explain why you wouldn’t want multiple wives. You’d still know which kid was born first. But in societies which did condone polygamy, wives would fight for stature, and I’d guess that that wouldn’t make for a pleasant home life.

Maybe it was economic. If woman was chattel, man had to provide for her as he would for his livestock. How many men could afford to support more than one wife? How many could today?

I don’t think that Kinsey’s support of marriage is all that surprising. He also divorced sex from its safe “cave” to be explored only within marriage. Marriage was between equals (not that K in the movie treated his wife like a complete equal) and his wife was a support system in a traditional manner that I don’t think he would have been successful without. Marriage was a friendship with sex, to him, and sex outside of that was an exploration of the range of human sexuality.

I guess what I don’t understand is how it is possible to do that exploring without supplanting some of the emotional investment in the primary relationship – the marriage in this case – with emotional involvement with your fellow spelunkers. Maybe that’s just because I can’t divorce the two – the physical and the emotional parts of sex.

I’ve never thought that sex needed to be the pinnacle of existence or an entirely sacred experience with the “true love” of your life. I’d be pure as the Virgin Mary otherwise. But I can’t stand for it not to mean anything at all. I’m a modern woman. I too can take care of the purely physical part all by myself. But love for one just ain’t as much fun.

Oh, and for the record? I’m of the opinion that the world needs more man-on-man action. Cowboy Lovin’ baby!!

1 Comments:

  • and if those cowboys are all british that makes it even better...

    By Blogger Susan, at 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home