Truly Disappointing

Sunday, January 15, 2006

I'm sleeping with myself tonight.....

Dude. Your crazy train romances have already made news at 11. Actually, I'm guessing it must have been news @ 5, since MY MOTHER saw it and she's not a night person.

But hey, as far as I'm concerned, the only thing off-limits are unavailable men. (And, yes, that includes married men. Duh.)

I will add my warning that Major Drama is Not Fun. But maybe your experience will go better. As you engage the sniper, watch for the following potential issues:
Has Major Guilt over divorce and/or "abandoning" wife and child.
Puts other relationships (with said ex-wife and child) way ahead of any relationship with you.
Engages regularly with the ex for reasons other than said child.
Likes to pull gun out during foreplay.

The last one, not so much a divorce issue. Just me being snarky about the sniper.


I don't know what the older man syndrome is for you. You've been there a few times before. I don't know that it's a daddy fetish, really. For me, I'd never considered it until I ended up in a state where the majority of people in my age demographic are already married and not yet divorced. Age is an issue on the back-end: I don't want to date a guy not yet out of college, who still has no clue where he's going or what he wants to do or what he wants out of life. Maybe that's the allure? Men older than we are have some direction. They've already been on the road awhile.

When you are seeking direction, someone who has drawn a map is attractive. We no longer have mentors. The apprenticeship system has a lot to offer in the manner of knowing where you might go with life. Life-plans are no longer dictated to us by class and gender. Between the advances in equality through feminism and the benefits of education, we aren't railroaded into Stepford Life. But on the flip side, we also don't have a clue who, what, when, where, why, or how. It's a little like reinventing the wheel on a constant basis. But what are you going to do?

Me, I'd be happy to date someone within a few years of my age. I'd love it. I just have to find him.

2 Comments:

  • love the elton reference btw...you did intend that right?

    By Blogger Susan, at 1:12 AM  

  • Yep. I had an Elton day the other day. Heard Benny and the Jets on the way to work this morning, too. Sometimes? The Elton finds you.

    By Blogger kT, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home