Truly Disappointing

Monday, January 09, 2006

Growing Up

Glad to see you're finally processing all of that.

There is a difference between "settling" and "being settled."

In deference to the Socratic method:

Settling means that you are taking what's given, not fighting for anything better, and not being happy with what you have.

Being settled means that you are taking TODAY (no day but today, dude) and making what you can of that. Taking what you have and building from there.

In your fear of settling, you are not settled. For that matter, it isn't that I'm settled either. I scared the shit out of myself last year by buying a house. That is a committment. I lived so many years moving from place to place to place. In the 10 years since high school, I've had 11 addresses. It's always been about the next thing, to some degree, but this, here, the job and all, was my goal. I got here and really couldn't figure out what to do with all of this.

Frankly, I still don't know. I vascillate between thinking I could really put down roots here in ND and wondering what's next. I can't honestly see a long-term future here career-wise, but I also know that a lot of the indie contractors (okay, there are only a few) in my field will be retiring. Wide open spaces, both geographically and in my field. I could do it. I just don't know if I want to. Professionally, I'm somewhat lonely.

You can't put off being invested in your life, your liberty, and your pursuit of happiness "until." There's always another "until." It's like the Song That Never Ends, it just goes on and on my friend.

Again, life is about balance. Finding the right fork-perched moment when striving for your goals, whatever they are, allows you to still be invested in what you are doing today. When the pendulum swings equally into your personal and professional lives. When duty is balanced with personal desires.

If anyone finds it, can I have a map, please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home